Marijuana has been used for centuries as a drug. If we look into history we will notice that in the past it has been used as a source of herbal medication to sedate the individuals during any painful treatment.
For many years the use of marijuana has been banned but recently, due to its medical benefits in some of the states its use has been legalized. However, most of the individuals are confused that whether marijuana is addictive or not. marijuana is a drug and there are certain chemicals in the drug that proves its addiction.
Marijuana and medical community
Even the medical community is on an ongoing debate that whether marijuana is addictive or not. We all know that for several years marijuana has been grouped with other highly addictive drugs like heroin and cocaine. These are the highly addictive types of drugs. They have been classified into the group of drugs that has a high potential for abuse and the ability to create physical dependence and psychological issues. (Bressert, Steve, 2016)
Instead of asking is marijuana addictive a better question would that whether people become dependent after having marijuana or not. The nature of marijuana can be understood properly if we are able to find out the degree of dependence required after having marijuana.
Signs of marijuana addiction
Here are some of the characteristics that show dependency of any drug. In case any three of these come true after having the drug it means that marijuana is addictive.
- The individuals taking marijuana would like to have more in order to achieve the desired experience or effect. With the continued use of marijuana the effect cannot be obtained at the same dose and so they have to increase the concentration to some amount.
- With the passage of time, individuals will start to use marijuana in huge amount and for longer periods without intention
- There will be a persistent desire to have marijuana and they will make unsuccessful efforts to reduce or cut down the usage.
- Individuals have to spend a lot of time to obtain, use and recover from the effects of marijuana.
- In the favor of use of marijuana, individuals will give up their recreational. Social and occupational activities
- Despite recurrent or persistent psychological and physical problems caused by the use of drug, individuals continue to use marijuana
It has been proved in a recent study that 9 percent people become dependent on marijuana after continuous usage. On the other hand, the people who have started using marijuana in their teens increased the number to 17%. (Bressert, Steve, 2016)
In different movies and TV shows, marijuana is displayed as a positive thing but we all know that it is highly addictive. The herb used for medicinal properties have the addictive chemicals removed from it and that is why it has been able to show positive results. There are many individuals that have been trying to get rid of marijuana addiction, but it is hard to stop for them. once they stop taking the drug they feel like an important part of their life has been taken away from them because they depend on marijuana for their relaxation and happiness.
There are many individuals that are ready to stop using marijuana but they have been unsuccessful. Trying to stop using the drug on your own is not very helpful because you will have no one to support. There are several professional drug treatment centers working that will help you to get rid of this addiction. Remember that if you will not control your addiction today you will eventually have to stop because it can lead o chronic heart diseases.
“Drug Schedules.” Drug Enforcement Administration.
Bressert, Steve. “Alcohol & Substance Dependence Symptoms.” PsychCentral. 2016.
Is Marijuana Addictive? National Institute of Drug Abuse. 2017.